PESACH UPDATE 3/4/2012
To assist consumers with buying of food for Pesach, Kosher Australia advises the following:
- 1. No food may be purchased for Pesach from any of the following under Kosher Australia year-round (non Pesach) supervision:
- a. Cafe Nogga
- b. Daneli's
- c. Felafel Omisi
- d. Glicks Cakes & Bagels
- e. Laffa Bar
- f. Sandwich 55
- g. Savion Café
- h. Shemesh Pizza
- i. Sweet Crumble Cafe & Patisserie
- j. Vinuage
- 2. The following retail businesses under Kosher Australia year-round supervision have Kosher for Pesach products:
- a. Amalya Cafe stock Cholov Yisroel Goat Milk with Kosher for Pesach Stickers. All other food is not suitable for Pesach.
- b. Off The Hook is currently only selling Kosher for Pesach food (Non-Gebrokhts) from 30/3/2012 and this will continue until 12 April 2012.
- c. Kimberly Gardens serve only Kosher for Pesach food from 6 April until the end of Pesach (Gebrokhts).
- d. Mini Bites is selling pre-ordered foods for Pesach which must bear a Kosher for Pesach seal. (Gebrokhts).
- e. Kleins Kosher Gourmet, Kosher for Pesach products carry the numbered Kosher Australia Kosher for Pesach stickers. (Gebrokhts)
- 3. Only the following caterers are producing Kosher for Pesach foods and are authorised to do so:
- a. Goldberg Kosher Catering - Goldies (non Gebrokhts)
- b. Passionate Catering - at their Pesach retreat only (non Gebrokhts)
- c. Unger Catering (Gebrokhts)
All other caterers under Kosher Australia are not authorised to produce Kosher for Pesach products for 2012.
- 4. Please note once again that GLUTEN FREE does not mean Kosher for Pesach use. There are many ingredients derived from wheat that are also gluten free e.g. citric acid. Accordingly any Gluten Free product must also be approved for Pesach
- 5. Kosher Australia has in recent days received a number of enquiries concerning the use of paper towels on Pesach. Many authorities allow the use of all paper towels on Pesach even if starch is used in the preparation of the paper. In response to the specific enquiries received, Kosher Australia can confirm that the following brands are Chometz & Kitniyos free - Viva and Thick & Thirsty. Handee brand has been similarly confirmed as Chometz & Kitniyos free by the Kashrut Authority in NSW. Any starch used in these paper products is tapioca/cassava which presents no Pesach problems.
- 6. Consumers should note that only varieties of Mount Franklin mineral water that are suitable for Pesach are the unflavoured varieties. There is a Mount Franklin version that contains a light lemon flavour and it is not recommended for Pesach nor for year round use (the latter is pending investigation).
Coles and Woolworths generic brands of unflavoured mineral & soda water may utilise starch based carbonation, the source of which we have been unable to confirm as being acceptable for Pesach. Therefore, we cannot recommend them for Pesach use.
Kosher Australia Pty Ltd
main tel: 1300 KOSHER
fax: 03 9527 5665
direct: 03 8317 2502
Join our Facebook forum at www.facebook.com/kosheraustralia