|Noticeboard||Beth Din||Archives||Add Event||Subscribe||Privacy||Log in|
In Melbourne Shabbat begins Fri 3 Apr 2020 06:52 PM and ends Sat 4 Apr 2020 07:50 PM
כ"ד תמוז ה' אלפים תשס"ט
In a press release today JCCV President, Mr John Searle stated that “Melbourne’s Jewish community can no longer pretend that underage drinking is not a problem. We have reached the point where every one of its members has to take some responsibility to help solve it”.
Mr Searle urged action and called for community agreement to and collaboration in the following actions:
• Zero tolerance of underage drinking. All parents, rabbis, event organisers, older siblings, family friends and others must prohibit the consumption by school age children in all settings.
• The personal commitment of every member of our community to change the mentality that having fun or celebration must involve drinking alcohol.
• Being a role model for our children, the community’s future leaders.
While schools are part of the solution, they cannot solve these problems alone. Rather they require a unified and strategic community approach and resolve is required, Searle stated.
With community support underpinned by professional expertise the following outcomes Mr Searle believed is achievable by the end of 2010:
1. Measureable community acceptance that underage alcohol abuse is a community problem, one that requires continual monitoring.
2. Delivery of a ‘zero alcohol for minors’ message by every congregational rabbi.
3. Monitoring of alcohol consumption at communal and private Jewish events such as simchas, kiddushim, Purim and Simchat Torah.
4. Decreased alcohol use in many Jewish households.
5. Hatzolah reporting a reduction in crisis interventions prompted by underage drinking.
6. Every Jewish school and UJEB delivering alcohol education programs to all students from the age of 11 upwards.
7. Holding focus groups with senior Jewish students and parents to obtain further data.
Our children are precious. We must do everything possible to overcome this problem.
Click here for details of the press release